If you are looking for a super healthy hearty dinner, look no further than a Vegan Shepherds Pie! I’ve wanted to make this recipe for a while but it has been on the back burner. The weekend is always a good time for me to try out new recipes 🙂
I was inspired by Jamie & Tim Shieff’s version here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsgPy-K8ogk . Love Jamies vegan recipes!
- 5 cups of mixed frozen vegetables (corn, peas, carrots and string beans)
- 1 can organic red kidney beans*
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced
- 2 red onions diced
- 3 crushed garlic cloves
- 3 medium white potatoes*
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1/4 cup of rice milk or any non dairy milk
- 2 vegetable stock cubes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Start with boiling the potatoes
- While the potatoes are boiling – in a saute pan add the olive oil , add in the diced onions, mushrooms and garlic, leave for one minute.
- Next in the saute pan add in the frozen vegetables with 1/4 cup of water and the vegetable stock. Leave to set for 15 mins or until the vegetables have softened. Add in the kidney beans at the end and leave for 1 minute, turn off heat.
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees celsius. When the potatoes have softened, mash them up with the rice milk . Place the vegetable filling first in a casserole dish and then add in the mashed potatoes.
- Fork through the mashes potatoes on top to create a bumpy surface to allow it to crisp, add in S&P and place in the oven for 10-15 minutes
*Can be made Paleo if you remove the kidney beans and sub the white potato with sweet potato