The Lebanese cuisine is filled with so many amazing vegan options and this is one of them. I will be in Lebanon next week which is SO exciting, I will make sure to update my instagram (rana.banana) with all the yummy vegan finds!
Traditionally this is made with swiss chard leaves and is called Hindbeh, however it is not so easy to find fresh swiss chard in Dubai so we used Spinach instead. By we, I mean my father and I 🙂
- 5 cups of fresh spinach
- 2 red onions sliced thinly
- 4 garlic cloves sliced thinly and 2 garlic crushed
- 1 cup coriander
- 2 green onions chopped finely
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp samac
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Wash the fresh spinach and take the leaves off the stem. Add the spinach to boiling water pot, they will need about 5 minutes to wilt down.
- While the spinach is cooking, add the olive oil to a pan to sautee the red onions first for about 2 minutes once they start to brown add in the garlic,coriander and green onion.
- After the spinach has wilted down, remove the spinach from the pot and empty it from any water by squeezing it out of it. Add back to the pan where the other ingredients have been sauteing. This will need about 5 – 7 minutes of cooking until the ingredients have infused with each other.
- Once done, turn off the heat and add in the lemon juice and samac
If needed you can add in more olive oil or salt, but I am trying to cut back on both and feel this dish already has enough flavours