Freekeh! The name alone gets a lot of attention, freaky, get it? Ok ill stop now.
This is one of my absolute favorites dishes growing up, although traditionally it is made with some sort of meat and more oil/ghee/butter, this recipe keeps all taste while lightening up the dish my way 😉
Also did you know that freekeh has more than double the fiber in quinoa, and over three times the amount in brown rice? That’s a lot of healthy, ultra-filling fiber!
- 2 cups freekeh
- 1 onion chopped finely
- 1 potato, sweet or normal either work
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 2 carrots
- 3 small zucchinis or 1 big one
- 1 eggplant
- 1/4 cup toasted almonds
- 1 organic vegetable stock cube
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp of 7 spices
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Rinse the freekeh in water and remove any impurities. Leave it rinsing for 15 minutes
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees C. Slice up the vegetables except the onion. Drizzle 1tbsp olive oil in a baking pan, add 1 tbsp of 7 spices, place in the oven for about 25 mins or until vegetables are soft
- While the vegetables are cooking, empty the water from the freekeh. To start cooking the freekeh, first start with sautéing the chopped onion with 1 tbsp of olive oil and a tbsp of 7 spices.
- Once the onion starts to turn brownish, add 2 cups of water, the stock cube and the freekeh
- When both are done, place the freekeh on a plate with vegetables on top and sprinkle the toasted almonds
Before serving it, I placed the vegetables at the bottom of a cake pan then added the freekeh on top, turned it upside down on the serving plate for a nicer presentation 🙂