On the weekend I usually like to spend more time cooking my lunch and then for the week ahead I will cook a big batch of soup plus a main dish. My all time favorite Vietnamese dish has got to be the rice paper rolls, just so crunchy and could be made with whatever filling you prefer. Irresistible!
So, I set out to make a protein filled, crunchy and above all as easy as possible Vietnamese roll.
I think it is essential to have the crunch factor in there, so I have added in raw cabbage and carrots. Also the colorful carrots and onions will show through the roll.
- 2 chicken breasts
- Rice paper (10-12 sheets)
- 1 Avocado
- 1 Red Onion
- 1 Tomato
- 2 shredded carrots
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- Bunch of fresh coriander
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 220C.
- Season the chicken with salt & pepper ( I decided to drizzle a bit of EVOO on top, however that is optional). Bake for 20-30 mins
- Slice tomato, red onion and avocado, pick leaves off coriander, and keep aside.
- Shred carrots and cabbage, set aside.
- Once the chicken has cooked, shred it.
- Fill large bowl with warm water, and dip one sheet of rice paper in the water and place on chopping board.
- In the middle of the rice paper add all the fillings and roll. Here is a quick tutorial, it is pretty easy once you have done two http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfI1wMeDXhg. Just make sure not to over stuff it as that can cause it to fall apart
What is your favorite thing to cook over the weekend?
Notes: This could easily be made raw and vegan by omitting the chicken and substituting it with tofu.