I have been heading recently to some of the outdoor markets that are filled with organic, locally sourced vegetables and fruits. One common vegetable I see at all the markets are these beautiful baby zucchinis, how cute are these?
I then decided I have stuff these with something, and stuff them I did 🙂 I stuffed them with bulgur, a very Mediterranean ingredient. I always had an extra bag of bulgur lying around the house but I never really know what to do with them other than add them to Tabbouleh but once I saw these little guys I knew!
Just to go back to some of these farmers markets, I bought these from Blue Planet Green People market in JLT that runs every Friday. All foodies you must go to this one, the prices and the range is really good,I bought 1 Kilo about 11 baby organic zucchinis for 10 AED, a really really good price!
For all their updates, here is their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/bpgpuae?ref=ts&fref=ts
Back to the lovely stuffed zucchinis
- 11 baby organic zuchinnis
- 3 cup of Pomi juice
- 2 tomatoes
- 3/4 cup of bulgur (make sure to use the fine bulgur)
- 1 red onion, chopped finely
- 4 cups of water
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 tsp of paprika
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees C. Start with preparing the stuffing. Add the bulgur, the crushed garlic and chopped onion and leave them to cook with 2 cups of water and 1 cup of pomi juice. Add in the all the spices. This should take about 10-15 mins till about the bulgur becomes soft
- While this is cooking start to cut off and hollow the baby zucchinis, you can choose to keep the top as “hat” if you want to impress with presentation. When the stuffing is done begin to stuff the zucchinis and place them onto a baking tray.
- For the sauce, to allow the tray to bake rather than burn add in 2 more cups of water and 2 cups of pomi, 2 chopped tomatoes,season with salt and pepper. Cover the tray with aluminum foil and bake for an hour or until the zucchinis are soft
I am so close to finishing my January vegetarian challenge and I have to say this has been my favorite dish so far,so go ahead and give it a try 🙂