I have always been a big fan of carrot cake, just the name alone implies the cake could be healthy, emphasis on could. However I am afraid that is not always the case, the usual recipe is filled with butter, sugar and white flour (No No’s in my book). So here I set out to find my own sugar free version while trying to maintain the yumminess factor of carrot cake, and this recipe does exactly that.
On another note I have started to slowly prepare for my move to my house where my fiance currently lives. My priority was to make sure I have all my cooking gadgets so I decided to stop by quickly at Ikea to buy some cooking necessities..and here is what happened
I sometimes tend to get over excited, that was not even at the end of my shop! Anyhoo, back to the healthy, sugar free carrot cake 🙂
- 3 Tbsp. ground flax seed simmered in 9 Tbsp. water
- 2 bananas
- 20 dates deseeded
- 5 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1tsp pumpkin allspice
- 3 grated carrots
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
- ½ cup walnuts (roughly chopped)
- 1/2 cup raisins
3 tbsp coconut cream
3 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 cup walnuts to place on top
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Prepare the flaxseed ‘egg’ . l. Use a blender to mix bananas, dates and oil in another bowl. Sift together flour, baking powder, cinnamon,pumpkin spice and stir it together with the eggs and the wet mix of bananas
- Add grated carrots, coconut flakes, walnuts and raisins and stir it until it all comes together.
- Pour it into a cake pan and bake for about 40 minutes. or until toothpick comes out clean
- Whip together the coconut cream and the maple syrup. Only add the frosting when the cake has cooled down, finally add in the walnuts.
This is the perfect weekend bake- gotta love a long weekend in Dubai!