We all share something in common and that is a weakness to Nutella, so it didn’t take me very long to attempt to make a healthier version of Nutella that I could indulge in without the guilt.The sensation of did i really just finish that jar and.. lick it!? And then the guilt kicks in.
So I wanted to have my cake and eat it too, Nutella with no guilt!
So off I went to find the perfect recipe, meaning healthy and more importantly easy! So without further ado I present Paleo Nutella
1 cup blanched hazelnuts
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup coconut nectar (you could try subbing maple syrup)
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees C
- Roast the hazelnuts in the oven for 10 minutes.
- If your hazelnuts were not already blanched, you will need to remove the skins. Once they come out of the oven you can take a damp cloth and remove the skins.
- Add the blanched hazelnuts to the bowl of food processor and pureé for a few minutes until creamy – you may have to scrape down the sides of the bowl a couple of times.
- Add the coconut milk, coconut nectar, cocoa, vanilla, coconut oil and salt and continue to process until smooth – scraping down the sides as needed.
To enjoy this Nutella I decided to go ahead and make whole wheat vegan hazelnut muffins with the left over hazelnuts
Whole wheat vegan hazelnut muffins
- 2cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup cocoa
- ½ cup crushed plain roasted hazlenuts
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ – ¾ cup oil
- 1 cup coffee
- ½ cup almond milk
Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl. In a separate bowl mix all the wet ingredients well.
Pour the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix till combined. Don’t over mix it.
Spoon the batter into a greased muffin tray and bake at 180°C for 20- 25 minutes or till the toothpick inserted comes out clean.